CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, October 27, 2008

Being 43

Today makes 43 years that I've been in this world. I've learned many things in those few years and I thought I'd share 43 of them with you (not in any particular order).
  1. You never stop learning. Anybody can teach you something new, even a child.
  2. Less is more. Sometimes the less you own, the happier you are; the less you say, the smarter you appear.
  3. When the doctor says "It'll only hurt a little bit", it will actually hurt a lot.
  4. When you give without expecting anything in return, often you receive more than you bargained for.
  5. If the choice is cleaning your home or playing Barbie’s with your daughter…let the dust accumulate.
  6. Friendships are rare gifts. When they are genuine, they stand the test of time and circumstance.
  7. Say thank you. We often ask but seldom thank.
  8. It’s better to sing off key than not to sing at all.
  9. You can’t avoid offending people from time to time. When you don’t mean it, apologize. When you do mean it, accept the consequences.
  10. It’s 10 times easier to fall in love than to stay in love. And no matter what the sad songs say about romance, broken hearts do mend.
  11. It’s never a shame when you admit you don’t know something, and often a shame when you assume that you do
  12. Grudges are poison. The only antidote is to let them go.
  13. Laundry is one household chore that is never done.
  14. Promptness shows respect.
  15. Nobody cares if you can't dance well. Just get up and dance.
  16. You cannot make someone love you. All you can do is be someone who can be loved.
  17. It takes years to build up trust, and only seconds to destroy it.
  18. Never lick a steak knife.
  19. It's not what you have in your life but who you have in your life that counts
  20. You should always leave loved ones with loving words. It may be the last time you see them.
  21. Learning to forgive takes practice.
  22. Being kind is more important than being right.
  23. When you say "I'm sorry", look the person in the eye.
  24. Never laugh at anyone's dream. People who don't have dreams don't have much.
  25. Love deeply and passionately. You might get hurt but it's the only way to live life completely.
  26. Smile when picking up the phone. The caller will hear it in your voice.
  27. It is taking me a long time to become the person I want to be.
  28. It's a lot easier to react first than it is to think about it first.
  29. Either I control my attitude or it controls me.
  30. No matter how much you try to prepare yourself for a loved one's death, you're never truly prepared.
  31. Just because someone doesn't say "I love you", doesn't mean they don't.
  32. First impressions are completely worthless 50% of the time.
  33. It's okay to take a day off and just relax.
  34. An enjoyable meal. A casual walk. A stroll through the woods. Time with family. These are the kinds of things that provide deep, long lasting happiness
  35. Old habits die hard.
  36. Sleep makes me happy.
  37. Hair on a barbie doll doesn't grow back.
  38. You can't fix stupid.
  39. Some people take life way to seriously
  40. It's hard to dislike someone when you pray for them.
  41. Kindness and hard work will take you further than intelligence.
  42. Laughing, crying, joy and anger… All are a vital. All make us human.
  43. Take lots of pictures. Someday you’ll be really glad you did

4 comments:

  1. I'll add one more to that.
    And in all my 39 years I have learned that there is not a better sister that I could have than the one that turn 43 today, And even if there is one I would trade her for mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the best and sweetest younger brother that there is in this world. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:51 PM

    #17 so very true

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:15 AM

    And in my 19 years, I have learned that no other mothers can quite compare to the one I have. I love you mom! Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete