CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, September 24, 2007

Chicken Noodle Soup & Lap Quilt

Tonight after work I came home to try out a new recipe. Tonight was the perfect night since David is at school and Angela is at Evangel Assembly Youth group. Both of them were eating away from home and this gave me the opportunity to prepare the new recipe without being distracted and also have a meal prepared in advance for tomorrow night. I knew by looking at the recipe that David would not want to try it, so I made him chicken and rice to have tomorrow night.

The recipe was very simple and it turned out well. I was pleased when I tried some tonight and think Angela will like it as well. Here's the recipe in case someone wants to try it for themselves.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup chopped carrots
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
  • 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 4 cups cubed peeled potatoes
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
  • 2 cups uncooked yolk-free wide noodles
  • 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
  • In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute the onion, carrots, celery and garlic in oil for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in the flour, oregano, thyme and poultry seasoning until blended; saute 1 minute longer. Gradually add broth, potatoes and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
    Stir in the chicken and noodles; simmer for 10 minutes or until noodles are tender. Reduce heat. Stir in the milk; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 8 servings.

    As I was cooking the soup, I thought of a single friend of mine from church and decided that if she was at home I wanted to take her a bowl for her dinner. After calling to make sure she was home and if it was a good time to drop by with a bowl soup, I served her up a bowl of the soup and dropped it off. We chatted for just a few minutes and before I left she told me she had something for me. She is an excellent seamstress and loves using the talent God has given her to make things for others. Before leaving she gave me a beautiful handmade lap quilt with the instructions to go home, put my feet up and wrap up. I love it! I am sitting on the couch as I type this wrapped in the quilt. God is so good! I went tonight to minister to a friend and yet I was the one that walked away with the blessing. I treasure this ladies heart for God and for others that serves daily.

    For some unknown reason I can't blogger to load pictures so I made a slide show in Bubbleshare of the soup and lap quilt.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment