CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

"Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord." ~ Ephesians 6:4

This is a verse that keeps coming to mind this week. I have struggled immensley to keep from snapping or in general having a bad attitude in when dealing with my children this week. Don't get me wrong we aren't screaming at each other constantly, but I find myself being short with them or snapping at them more than usual. Granted it may be justified, but I am the adult and I shouldn't be responding in this manner. I found a quote that speaks of this and it speaks to my heart.

"Children don't make you who you are, they REVEAL who you are"

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:43 PM

    Ginnie,

    I would recommend you sit down with your children and confess to them your failure in this area. Then I would express to them your desire for peace in your home. Then I would ask them (without sounding accusational) about their obedience to the command to honor their mother. Tell them, "I've been concerned about your obedience to this command.. how would you rate yourself? Do you have a desire to change?" Don't go on offense with your attitude; just try to work carefully to bring the failures of both sides (starting with your own) to the table. The order in which you present these things is critical.

    To do this requires much humility, and it won't be easy. You may feel a bit uncomfortable. But believe me, to do so is not to forfeit your parental authority, but actually to exercise it. The parent who will be honest and humble will gain the greatest respect from their children.

    I'll pray for you about this.

    ReplyDelete