CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, July 30, 2007

It's Just a Car

The inevitable has happened. At some point in our lives if we are driving we will have an accident. Today just happened to be David's time. On his way home from Orlando he wrecked his car. David is fine, however his car didn't come away from the wreck in as good of shape as he did.

I was on my way out of the office this afternoon at 2:30 when my cell phone rang and it was David on the other end saying, "I'm so sorry, I couldn't stop, are you alright?" I then could hear a man saying, "Yes, I'm fine are you okay?" The entire time I'm saying, "David, David, David are you okay?, David?" I never could get an answer from him so I hung up and immediately called him back. This time we could hear each other and I began to ask if he was okay and if his car was damaged really bad. His reply was, "I'm fine, but how did you know I was in a wreck?" I told him he had just called me but he wouldn't answer me and how I had heard his conversation and knew that he'd been in a wreck. He assured me he and the others were okay so I then began asking if anyone had notified law enforcement of the accident. He told me he was trying to call them when I called. We got off the phone, I made arrangements for someone to be at the house with Angela while I went to get him. While on my way to get him I talked to the officer on the scene and he assured me that David was fine but would be issued a citation and the car would be towed. Honestly all I was concerned with at that point was that he was not injured nor the others involved in the accident. I even offered to sign the title over to him now that he is 18, but he's not interested.

Dundee is a two hour drive from Clewiston and I couldn't get there fast enough. David chose to wait for me at a Hardees on the corner of the intersection where the accident occurred. He waited with his suitcase, laptop and a trash bag of dirty clothes. After seeing that he was okay I couldn't help but think that people walking in must have thought he was homeless or a runaway. I had to find some humor in the situation.

David explained that as he came to the intersection the light had just turned green so he pressed down on the brake to slow down as traffic in his lane was stopped but as he pressed the brake he noticed he wasn't slowing down. He then just pumped the brakes but still nothing happened. So he let completely off the brakes and gas thinking it would slow down more. When he realized he wasn't stopping soon enough he tried to turn the steering wheel into the left lane because nothing was in that lane, but his steering wheel turned without the wheels turning. He said at that point he pressed harder on the brakes but still nothing happened. He braced himself because he knew he was about to hit the Chevy truck ahead of him. The truck then hit a van in front of him. He said he was doing 50 in a 45 but he was issued a citation for careless driving.

We won't know for a while if his car will be totaled, but we are praising God tonight that he protected David from injury and the others involved. A damaged car and a ticket to pay are the least of worries. It's all nothing compared to David being able to walk away from the wreck with only a burn from the airbag and a few sore muscles from the impact.

David's Car in May
David's car on July 30
Another Shot from the Side

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:04 AM

    Oh no! Thank goodness he is okay. How scary. Ugh. I'm so glad that everyone is okay!

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that he is okay, And that everyone else is okay, But one ?
    Why would he press on the gas to slow down? And how did the wheel turn but not the car?
    Was it raining a he was spinning?

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was a typo in the post. David was pressing the brake to stop not the gas. As for the wheel turning but not the car, it was the steering wheel that turned but his wheels nor car ever turned. It had been raining but had stopped. The car never spun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, Well I'm glad he is okay. Goodness knows his uncle ken has had afew, so i understand how he feels

    ReplyDelete