CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Elizabeth Prentiss: 'More Love to Thee.' by Sharon James

I just finished reading a new biography of Elizabeth Prentiss: 'More Love to Thee.' by Sharon James. In case you are not familiar with who Elizabeth Prentiss was, she wrote the hymn "More Love to Thee" in 1856:
More love to Thee, O Christ, More love to Thee!
Hear Thou the prayer, I make on bended knee.
This is my earnest plea: More love O Christ to Thee;
More love to Thee, More love to Thee!
Once earthly joy I craved, Sought peace and rest.
Now thee alone I seek; Give what is best.
This all my prayer shall be: More love O Christ to Thee;
More love to Thee, More love to Thee!
Then shall my latest breath whisper Thy praise.
This be the parting cry my heart shall raise;
This still my prayer shall be: More love O Christ to Thee;
More love to Thee, More love to Thee!
Let sorrow do its work, send grief and pain;
Sweet are Thy messengers, sweet their refrain,
When they can sing with me: More love O Christ to Thee;
More love to Thee, More love to Thee!

This is one of my favorite hymns and it was interesting to read about the woman that wrote it and to learn more about her life. Elizabeth Prentiss was a frail woman who suffered intensely from chronic insomnia all her life. She was the daughter of a pastor and in 1845 married a pastor. Elizabeth was a mother to 6 children,within a period of three months she lost her second and third child--one as a newborn, one at age four. In spite of the trials in her life, she was dedicated to Christ and sought to live a life of joy serving her husband, children and others.

Elizabeth had this to say of the lessons God taught her:

-The most difficult circumstances are ‘God’s school’ to teach us more about
his grace.
-The very busy times are precisely those times when we need—and can
find—God’s strength.
-The worst of tragedies can draw us closer to God.”

One of my favorite quotes was this one: "Much of my experience of life has cost me a great price and I wish to use it for strengthening and comforting other souls."

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:38 PM

    Are you familiar withthe hymn, "Here I am Lord"? That one does it for me....."Ave Maria" is another favorite of mine....go to this web site to listen to the music and also see the lyrics.....
    http://members.warpnet.net/karin/images/zhymns.html

    ReplyDelete