CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Parent Without Fear

Parenting can be a fearful experience. Our culture seems to think that the basic role of a parent is to protect our children. I do not totally disagree with that, however, we cannot parent in a constant state of fear. We must place our children at the feet of Jesus. He knows them much better than we do, because He made them. He loves them abundantly more than we could ever imagine. Even though we know that Romans 8:38-39 is not exculsively for us, but for is for our children as well, we hold on to our children as we possess them. Our children are a gift from God and are not our own. God has intrusted us to raise them, so whom better to seek wisdom and comfort from in raising them. We cannot raise them with a constant fear - they are not harm proof: we cannot prevent their pain, we cannot cushion them from every bit of consequence of their pain and we cannot make every decision for them. Do I worry about the choices my children will make? Absolutely! Yet, at the feet of Jesus is every answer I will ever need to raise them without fear. Some verses that help me lay that fear at His feet are:


When I am afraid, I will put my trust in You. In God, whose word I praise, In God I have put my trust; I shall not be afraid. What can mere man do to me? "(Psalm 56:3-4) God takes care of his children. He is forever stronger than us.


"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go." (Joshua 1:9) He will be our children's constant companion.


God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change and though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea; Though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains
quake at its swelling pride." (Psalm46: 1-3) Life may fall apart, we may apart,
our children may fall apart. Yet God promises he will be with us.


'Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.' (Isaiah 41:10) God gives us strength in our weakness
and strengthens our children to face the world.


So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. " (Matthew 6:34) As parents, we often anguish about our children's future, yet God holds their future just as he holds the future of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment