CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

A Mother's Pride

At some time or another I think every mother takes pride in her children. I am no different. But is it wrong to be proud of our children? When I see one of my children behaving in an appropriate manner, serving others, or achieving goals my heart swells with pride. Just today I was overcome with pride in my daughter. She has displayed acts of service today (not that she doesn't do it often, she does) and my heart began to swell. And as my heart began to swell, I heard a voice saying "And who are you boasting in?" It suddenly hit me. . . I was boasting in not only my child, but I was boasting in myself as well. Galatians 6:14 came to mind as I thought about this boasting. "But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the Lord has been crucified to me, and to the world." As I was meditating on this scripture I was convincted that it's not my child that deserves the glory it is Christ. For only by his grace has she been gifted to serve as she did today and other days. Yes, it's okay for me to point out to her that she did a wonderful job serving others today and that I am happy to see that gift in her, but I also need to make sure when I am encouraging her and thanking her that I point out to her that it is through Christ is willing to serve others.

2 comments:

  1. I think we all take pride in seeing young adults work in there gifting. No matter who's kids they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginnie, how blessed your children are, that you look at their accomplishments and see Christ. Thank you for teaching both of them to have the heart of a servant.

    ReplyDelete