CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, May 15, 2006

Grasping Pride

I have currently started reading Humility: True Greatness by C.J. Mahaney. I have wanted to read this book since a friend of mine read it a couple of months ago. Although I am just beginning the book I have already come to realize that in order to be humble I must first grasp what it means to be proud. If you are like me, you will not readily admit to being proud or prideful. As Mahaney points out "none of us are immune to the logic-defying, blinding effects of pride. Though it shows up in different forms and to differing degrees, it infects us all. It's not if pride exists in my heart; it's where pride exists and how pride is being expressed in my life. But what exactly is pride. Mahaney explains it like this,"Pride is when sinful human beings aspire to the status and position of God and refuse to acknowledge their dependence upon Him." Talk about stepping on toes, more like stomped on them and twisted on top of them . Ouch! . "Pride", John Stott writes, "is more than the first of the seven deadly sins; it is itself the essence of all sin." Jonathan Edwards called pride "the worst viper that is in the heart" and "the greatest disturber of the soul's peace and sweet communion with Christ." Edwards also ranked pride as the most difficult sin to overcome and "the most hidden, secret and deceitful of all lusts."

Proverbs 8:13 says: "The fear of the LORD is to hate evil; Pride and arrogance and the evil way And the perverse mouth I hate." Why does God hate pride? Mahaney explains it like this,"Pride is when sinful human beings aspire to the status and position of God and refuse to acknowledge their dependence upon Him." John Calvin wrote, "God cannot bear with seeing his glory appropriated by the creature in even the smallest degree, so intolerable to him is the sacrilegious arrogance of those who, by praising themselves, obscure his glory as far as they can." There are numerous warnings from Scripture about pride and through these scriptures we can find an expression of God's mercy that is intended to lead us to the path of humility. Mahaney points out that true greatness as biblically defined is serving others for the glory of God.


As I've read the first 59 pages of this book I have reason to be discouraged and to stop reading, but even more I have reason to be encouraged to finish reading this book because I know and believe "the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." For there is motivation and purpose to be found in humility. We only have to read Isaiah 66:1-2; Thus says the LORD:" Heaven is My throne, And earth is My footstool. Where is the house that you will build Me? And where is the place of My rest? For all those things My hand has made, And all those things exist," Says the LORD. " But on this one will I look: On him who is poor and of a contrite spirit, And who trembles at My word.

No comments:

Post a Comment