CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Choices - Will They Land You in the Ditch?

Now the LORD had said to Abram: “Get out of your country, from your family and from your father’s house, to a land that I will show you. I will make you a great nation; I will bless you and make your name great; and you shall be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and I will curse him who curses you; and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed." So Abram departed as the LORD had spoken to him, and Lot went with him. And Abram was seventy-five years old when he departed from Haran. Then Abram took Sarai his wife and Lot his brother's son, and all their possessions that they had gathered, and the people whom they had acquired in Haran, and they departed to go to the land of Canaan. So they came to the land of Canaan. ~ Genesis 12:1-5

Choices. . . we all have choices. If you are anything like me you like to have some idea what the end result will look like. I'm not big on stepping into the unknown. I've been faced with choices throughout my life, but never one such as the one Abram was faced with. Imagine God telling you not only to leave the home you have known for years, but to leave without even knowing your destination. Wouldn’t that be earth shattering news to break to your family?

Abram had to make a decision, be obedient or to disobey God. God didn't ask Abram "do you want to go?" Instead he told Abram," Get out of your country. . ." Abram didn't know what the end result would be. I wonder if Abram told God, "let me think on this, let me pray about it." It's not recorded that he did, so my guess would be that he simply obeyed even though he had no clue the outcome. God knew the route perfectly and already knew how he would provide for his every need. Abram was obedient and God delivered him.

As I've thought about Abram and his obedience to God, I realize that God wants me to get to the point that I start to see and know His Character. When I do that, I won’t have a problem with obedience even when I can’t see the end result.

I'm reminded that the will of God will never take us where His grace won't protect us. God desires for us to be obedient and when we are obedient he provides for our every need. When I'm selfish and disobedient, it's then that Satan gets a hold of me and I end up in the ditch every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment