CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Did You Know. . .

years ago, a woman would drop a lace handkerchief on the ground to let the object of her affection know she was interested.

This was something I learned tonight as Angela and I were watching a movie together. In the movie the woman drops her handkerchief in front of the man. I thought nothing of that scene until Angela informed me of this little bit of history. In addition to Angela educating me on the use of a lace handkerchief I also learned (through Google) that lace handkerchiefs were often given as a token of your love. It has been told that in Medievel times that the knights going off to battle would carry with them a hankie given to them by the woman they loved. In Victorian times a lady would draw her handkerchief across her cheek to say I love you. Twisting her hankie in her right hand signified that she loved another. Holding the hankie over her shoulder or dropping it in the path meant follow me.

And here I was thinking a handkerchief was simply used to blow your nose on.

2 comments:

  1. A hankie is also central to the plot of Shakespeare's Othello. I'm just sayin'.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim,
    You and I both know I have no clue what the plot of Shakespeare's Othello was.

    ReplyDelete