CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Where is Your Investment?

Every year on Mother's Day I find myself wondering if Proverbs 31:28 is true of how my children view me. As I've thought on how I'm doing as a mother this weekend other thoughts have come to mind. One in particular is "what am I investing in?" What have I been investing in the real world, the kingdom of God?

While I have legitimate responsibilities in this life that keep me occupied, I easily become bogged down in the here and now. Yet, I waste opportunities to invest in eternal treasures. Other than God Himself, only two things are mentioned in Scripture that last forever: the Word of God and the souls of humans. Jesus calls us to involve ourselves in these two areas. No real investment in them will spoil, these are the things that Jesus refers to as the food that lasts forever. So I've asked myself who or what am I investing myself in?

Jesus clearly gives instructions in answering these questions. "Don't work for the food that perishes but for the food that lasts for eternal life" (John 6:27). Our lives should be focused on eternity. God created us to bear fruit that lasts (John 15:16). When we invest our invest our lives in anything else, we fall short of the purpose we were created for and miss the joy of kingdom fruitfulness. So today I encourage myself and others to work for food that endures.

No comments:

Post a Comment