CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, May 18, 2009

Same Ole Same Ole

Teach us to number our days carefully so that we may develop wisdom in our hearts
(Psalm 90:12)


Sometimes we can get engrossed with work, family, church and friends. At those times it is easy to just go through the motions and feel like your life is just one big to do list.

Even David had the feeling of doing the same ole same ole, for a while. He grew up as a shepherd - I can't imagine that being a very exciting job. As he sat alone on a hillside watching sheep he had to stay focused on the sheep and not let his mind wander. His job was to watch out for predators but much of his time was spent watching these dumb fluffy animals eat and sleep.

There are times when there is no thrill, just the daily routine of common tasks. Yet routine is God's way of saving us between our times of inspiration. We can't expect God to always give us His thrilling minutes, but we have to learn to live in the daily grind by the power of God. We have to be exceptional in the ordinary things- to be holy among selfish people and to be holy in the greediness of the world - this is not learned in five minutes.

Everything we do matters to God. In each detail of our lives, we can either ignore God or glorify Him.

Rather than waking up tomorrow morning with the mindset of just getting through the day, wake up and ask yourself, "What can I do today that will have eternal significance?" Deliberately blending your desire to glorify and serve God into every detail of your life adds purpose and significance to each day, each conversation, each task on your to do list, and each thought.

Make David's prayer from Psalm 39:4-7 your prayer: "LORD, make me to know my end
and what is the extent of my days; Let me know how transient I am. "Behold, You have made my days as handbreadths, and my lifetime as nothing in Your sight; surely every man at his best is a mere breath. Selah. "Surely every man walks about as a phantom; surely they make an uproar for nothing; He amasses riches and does not know who will gather them. And now, Lord, for what do I wait? My hope is in You.

Getting away from the feeling that life should be more than just the same ole same ole is not easy, but through God's power you can have a different perspective. Now where did I put that to do list, I need to tear it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment